10 minutes more…the miracle cure!
You need 150 minutes of physical activity each week for good health. This is physical activity that makes you breath faster or feel warmer.
You’re busy, your time is very limited and there are other more important things to do. We understand
We’re here to help
Break it down. Can you fit 2 lots of 10 minutes every day? Perhaps an active travel option ie walking the children to school and an activity option ie a bike ride with friends
“The best thing is that I have more energy” – beginner runner
“I’m able to do more and go for longer” – new Active Mum cycler
You can do it!
Take a mental snapshot of your day. Where’s best to slot in 10 minutes for your health?
Make a plan, form a habit, get friends involved
Ideas to fit 10 minutes more into daily life
10 minutes around the house
- Steps – music on, headphones in and tackle the stairs for 10 minutes
- Dance – Put your favourite music on and dance as if you were 16 again
- Cooking – Stand about an arm’s length from the kitchen counter, and push your arms against the counter. Push in and out to get toned arms and shoulders.
- Goggleboxing – Get some tins from the cupboard and use them for arms strengthening exercises while you sit
- Stretches – Do some stretches during advert breaks
More 10 minute workout ideas from NHS
10 minutes while waiting
- Walk – walk up and down the road several times while waiting to collect family members
- Jog – if you’re on a pitch, walk or jog around the outside while players are distracted warming up
- Weights – Keep tins in the car and do dumbbell exercises while you wait.
- Bootcamp – More and more towns have outdoor gyms. You could give it a go with a few friends
10 minutes at work
Some ideas to try:
- Walking meetings – you can record as you walk using voice memos (free with iphones)
- Walk or cycle to work
- Take a brisk walk at lunch
- Get a group of friends together and play netball, football or basketball for a 10 min break.
- Walk or cycle to the shops for office top up supplies
- If you have a meeting in another building, leave 5 or 10 minutes early
- On breaks, spend 5 to 10 minutes climbing stairs.
- Try a standing desk – they’re all the rage!