Take Part in the Torbay on the Move Active Workplace Challenge
If you work in Torbay, then the Torbay on the Move Active Workplace Challenge is a great challenge for you and your work colleagues to join in with.
Running from the 4 March to the 28 March 2024, this free and fun challenge will get you and your coworkers moving. As a team you’ll be virtually walking the South West Coast Path, by doing as many actual steps as possible over the four weeks. Steps achieved from walking, wheeling or cycling are recorded, and the more steps you do, the further you’ll virtually walk from Minehead to Poole. There are also opportunities to win prizes!
Get Ready to Join the Challenge
If you’re aged 18 or over, work in Torbay, and would like to take part, then sign up now using either the Big Team Challenge app, (mobiles only) or webpage. More information can be found below.
More About the Challenge?
On behalf of Torbay Council’s Torbay on the Move initiative, we will be delivering the challenge, using the Big Team Challenge app and webpage.
Once you’ve signed up (more details below), you’ll need to join a team within your workplace, using the app or webpage. Teams can be between 3 and 10 people.
Over the four weeks of the challenge, you’ll be able to track your steps. Your team’s steps will add up together and you will be able to see your virtual progress along the South West Coast Path. The route is approximately 800km or 1.15 million steps long, and the challenge is to see how far you get. Your team may even walk the whole distance!
The Big Team Challenge app allows you to connect your step-counting apps so that your steps are added automatically. If you don’t have one of these, don’t worry – you can also add your distance manually. If you’re wheeling or cycling, there’s a handy conversion chart to change your distance into steps.
Plus, each week we will be revealing a mini challenge. This will be something like asking you to send in a photo or a quote that fits a theme. Everyone who enters will be put into a prize draw for the chance to win some amazing prizes!
Why Join the Challenge?
- Improve your cardiovascular health by moving more
- Explore Torbay and connect more with your community and nature
- Reduce your carbon emissions as you’re using the car less – potentially saving you money
- Boost your team’s morale and connect you with your colleagues
- There’s an opportunity to win prizes and have lots of fun!
To encourage more work colleagues to join in, please use the Torbay on the Move Active Workplace Challenge poster.
How Can I Join the Challenge?
To join the challenge, you just need to follow these steps:
- Decide on your team and team name – you can have any number between 3 and 10 team members, as long as you work in Torbay and are aged 18 or over. You can even upload a picture.
- Agree on a team leader and get them to register through the Big Team Challenge platform and create a team (more info below). You can choose to use the app, the website, or both, it’s up to you.
- To join a team, your team leader will add you to their team and you will receive an email link.
- Link a tracking app so that you can start syncing your steps as soon as the 4 March arrives. (This is optional.)
- Read the FAQs so you know what to expect from the challenge, (see link below).
- Limber up and plan your team strategy to climb the leaderboard and hopefully win some fabulous prizes!
Joining the Challenge Platform
If you’re using the app, on the first page you see, type ‘torbay’ into the box and follow the steps from there. Linking to a step tracking app is optional but recommended.
It’s a good idea to choose your teams and assign a team leader before you register, to make registering and joining a team easier and smoother.
How Do I Make or Join a Team?
If you’re a team leader:
- Download the app or head to the website.
- Make an account, add the profile information and link a tracker app if you like.
- Choose your team’s name, and make it invite-only so you know who’s joining.
- Put in the email addresses of everyone in your team – the max team size is 10 people, and the minimum is 3 people.
It doesn’t matter what email address you use (personal or workplace), but we will be sending you email updates each week and details of how you enter the competitions so make sure you have access and are happy to receive emails.
If you’re joining a team:
- Sign up using the Big Team Challenge webpage or app following the instructions above. Please make sure you sign up with the same email address that you give your team leader so that you can accept their invite when you sign up.
- Create your account, fill in the profile information and link a step tracking app if you wish.
You should hopefully have a pending invite from your team leader to accept. If you’ve registered before your team leader, then just wait for them to send your invitation.
You can make your team as soon as you register, but you won’t be able to start the challenge until the 4 March. If you have problems making or joining a team, or are unable to remove or add people, email email@example.com.
How Do I Sync My Step Tracking App?
If you have one of the following apps: Apple Health; Fitbit; Garmin; or Google Fit, Samsung Health and MyFitnessPal (via the Health Connect app) then you can sync it automatically to the Big Team Challenge app. For more detailed information on how to do so for each app, go to the Big Team Challenge website.
Steps that are synced can sometimes take a few days to catch up. If your steps don’t match up after a couple of days, you can add them manually. There are instructions on how to manually add steps in our FAQs, see link below.
FAQs and Terms and Conditions
We hope you’re as excited for this workplace challenge as we are.
“People walking, wheeling and cycling took 14.6 million cars off the road in 2021. This saved 2.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, prevented 138,000 serious long-term health conditions and avoided more than 29,000 early deaths.” Source: Sustrans