The Active Devon Volunteer Awards
The Active Devon Volunteer Awards for 2023 are now closed, and the award winners have been announced. Find out more below, along with key information about the awards.
About the Volunteer Awards
Launched in 2022, the Active Devon Volunteer Awards recognise the contribution of thousands of people across Devon who volunteer their time to help others get active.
The awards are your chance to say thank you. Do you know someone who goes the extra mile to support people in your community to be more active? They might be a coach, an activity group leader, a club committee member or a charity group activity organiser. Whatever their role, their dedication to volunteering will be making a difference.
With your help we want to recognise, thank and celebrate these inspirational volunteers.
The winners for the Active Devon Volunteer Awards 2023 will each receive an award and a celebration with their group or team, as well as the chance to showcase the brilliant work they do.
The Volunteer Awards 2023 Categories
There are four main award categories:
- North Devon District and Torridge
- East Devon District, Mid Devon District and Exeter
- West Devon District and Plymouth
- South Hams District, Teignbridge and Torbay
There are three awards which will be chosen at the judge’s discretion from all the entries received.
- The Outstanding Contribution to Inclusion Award will be based on the contribution of an individual towards promoting inclusion and full community participation during their volunteering.
- The Outstanding Young Volunteer of the Year Award recognises the positive difference that young volunteers make to enable others to be physically active. The criteria for this award will be based on a young person between 14 and 25 years of age on the 5 June 2023 who has shown exceptional commitment to helping others move more.
- The Volunteering Team of the Year Award celebrates the outstanding work of volunteer teams in Devon who are making a big difference to their local community.
Nominations are open until 10th September 2023. A shortlist of nominees will be selected by Active Devon and publicly announced in September. A panel of judges, which will be made up of people within Devon who champion physical activity and volunteering will select the winners. The winners will then be announced in October 2023 and a celebration event will take place at their location.
How To Nominate
Nominating someone for an award is quick and easy using the awards nomination form.
Use the form to let us know more about the person you are nominating and why you are nominating them. Tell us about the brilliant work they do and the impact that they are having on the health and wellbeing of people in their community. Please add in as much information as you can.
Good luck to everyone who takes part and please get nominating!
- You can nominate anyone who is 14+ years old who spends time doing something unpaid that encourages individuals to be more physically active in Devon. They must be 14 or over after the 5 June 2023.
- This can include volunteering through public, private or voluntary organisations, or informally in their community.
- Awards are open for nominations from 5 June 2023 and will close at 5pm on 10 September 2023.
- You cannot nominate yourself.
- You can nominate more than one person, just use a new form every time you do.
- You can only nominate each person once.
- The person you are nominating must have volunteered in Devon County area at some time from 5th June 2022 to 10th September 2023.
- You must have the permission of the person you are nominating to share their information with us before you submit the form. If the person you are nominating is aged 14 to 17, you also need to get permission from their parent or carer and supply these details at the time of nominating.
The 2023 Winners and Shortlist
Volunteers Make a Big Difference
Volunteers have always played a vital part in the sports and physical activity sector, and without them, most community sport and physical activity simply wouldn’t happen.
Alex Don was one of the 2022 Volunteer Award winners, and this is why she was nominated:
“Alex is the lead volunteer for the North Devon Active Stroke group. She is very dedicated and is constantly looking for funding to ensure the group continues and is able to offer activities. She has investigated new opportunities and pursuits for the group, continuing to ask members what they would like to do. She is an amazing volunteer who works tirelessly on behalf of the group. She is also passionate about ensuring that everyone has access to opportunities which match their capabilities.”